So only a few posts ago I told you how Lexi is an official big girl and is now in underwear. She has done absolutely wonderfully using the potty for #1. I barely have to remind her to go anymore. She usually tells me now or sometimes I even find her in the bathroom going on her own. She also hasn't had an accident in over a week.
Unfortunately, #2 has been a bit of an issue. Lexi has become so upset about going to the bathroom that she holds it in for 2-3 days at a time, becoming constipated. She doesn't like being dirty and becomes hysterical seeing it in the potty. Jeff and I have tried everything we can think of to make her feel okay with going, but nothing seems to be working. This has resulted in a very cranky, fussy girl who is not eating.
I took Lexi to the pediatrician yesterday afternoon to figure out what I should do. I did not have this issue with Nicholas, so it was new to me. Apparently the doctor said this is a very common problem with newly potty trained toddlers. They have a fear that they are losing a part of themselves by going #2. She basically said we have to stop potty training her immediately. Put her back in diapers and let her go #2 in there. Unfortunately, Lexi won't even go in a diaper anymore, which I told the doctor is part of the issue as well. We have to give her Miralax (a laxative powder) for two weeks so she basically will end up going several times a day in the diaper and get completely desensitized to the feeling of going. The doctor said she needs to get back into the mode of realizing that having a bowel movement is a natural and pain free thing.
I have to admit--this new information kind of sucks. I feel SO bad for Lexi...I can tell she's completely frightened and uncomfortable. And it has been exhausting dealing with the toddler who needs to poop but just can't. But she has done SOOOOOO well with using the potty for #1, that I hate to move backwards. The doctor said if she asks to go sit on the potty to urinate, that it is okay to let her, but that I shouldn't be asking her to go or promoting using the potty at this point.
So, it's back to princess pull-ups this morning. Hopefully Lexi will get more comfortable with her own body functions and we'll be back to underwear after this brief hiatus.
No comments:
Post a Comment