Now that Lexi is a full fledged toddler, I've noticed the relationship between Nicholas and Lexi changing. Yes, Nicholas is still a typical older brother and loves to torment his baby sister, but he's also taken on more of the protective role with her. He notices when she is struggling with something (say, trying to climb onto the couch) and has become more willing (unprompted) to help her out (like trying to help her up). He's also taken to helping her with words and manners. I often catch him saying things (always in a high-pitched, talking to a baby style voice) like, "Ball, Lexi. This is a ball." Or, "Lexi, you need to say thank you when Mommy gives you..." It's very sweet to see Nicholas maturing into a little boy, instead of a toddler himself. I know he hasn't been a toddler for a while, but it's always hard to admit that your firstborn is getting older.
Lexi has also learned to rely on Nicholas more. If I'm busy or not within reach, I've noticed her walking towards Nicholas with whatever it is she needs help with (putting on her shoes, turning on a toy). He can't always help her, but I find it interesting that she's made the connection that he could potentially get her what she wants. She also gives Nicholas hugs before nap time and bed time, just like she does to Jeff and myself. It's very cute! I'm looking forward to seeing how their relationship develops through the years.
This is how I caught the two of them the other day as I came out of Nicholas' room.

No comments:
Post a Comment