Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sleeping Successes!

So the transition to a bed for Lexi is going a bit smoother. We've had to take some more extreme measures to get her to realize that bed time means it's time to sleep! The majority of toys in her room have been removed, making our living room look a bit like Toys R Us, but that was a necessary step for her to come to the sleep realization. We also have taken to duct taping the light switch, as well as locking her door from the outside. Turning the light on and opening/closing the door were becoming a big game for Lexi. Before you freak out though, as soon as she's asleep, we unlock the door...if there were a fire, she could get out!

Anyway, it seems as if realizing she can't get out of her room has the same effect that being in a crib had...she just gives up and goes to sleep. Nap time had me a bit stressed out, as the few times she had tried on her own had been an hour or two hours of play time, leaving a cranky Lexi by mid afternoon and a stressed out Mama too. By a few days ago though, she got it! I put her in and within 5-10 minutes, all was quiet in Lexiland.

We leave for vacation tomorrow so I'm assuming her routine will be bucked a bit and we'll have some work to do when we return, but at least I know what needs to be done now for Lexi to get the rest she so greatly needs!

Lexi doesn't just fall asleep still. It usually takes her a good 5-10 minutes of talking to herself before she's down. When I came in to wake her up the other day, this is what I found...blanket baby with just her little feet hanging out. It was hysterical, so I had to take a picture. When I pulled the blanket off she was a sweaty little mess, and none to pleased that she had been woken. Oh, and she had, at some point between me closing her door and falling asleep, put on a tutu!

1 comment:

Aver said...

Yay for Lexi and for you mama. Getting the kids to sleep is tough and it sounds like you did a great job. I love the picture and it made me laugh that she was wearing her tutu.