Saturday, May 7, 2011

Preschool Stuff

The end of the school year is rapidly approaching. Only 6 more weeks until N is home all day until after Labor Day...oy! I've gotten used to having a schedule of some sorts during the weeks, and he's gotten used to having time away from me to play with his friends. But, instead of dwelling on the fact that school's almost out for summer, here are some of the fun things that Nicholas has been doing at school this week:



Each week a child is the VIP. Each parent provides pictures for the VIP board. Some are more elaborate than others. I did mine like a scrapbook...did you think I'd do it any other way? ;-)


One of the "perks" of being the VIP is being able to sit at the front of the circle room with the teachers. They also get to ring the bell that tells everyone outside time is over and they tap the students' toes to tell them it's time to transition to the next activity. The VIP also gives each kid a "pass out treat" one day. Nicholas gave each kid a beanie baby, left over from his Auntie Becca when she was a kid. The beanie babies were a huge hit!



On Friday all the mommies came to school with the kids for a Mother's Day Tea. Nana was nice enough to watch Lexi, as well as her friend, Collin, so Kacy and I could spend some time with the big boys. They had a project station, playroom station, outside time, and a cute snack room set up. The kids were all so excited to be with their moms. At the end the kids all sang a song to the moms, except for your friend Nicholas. Yes, my boy stood at the front of the room and glared at me the entire time. I'll admit, I was a little disappointed as I watched all my friends' kids happily sing and do the hand motions while looking lovingly at their moms. Alas, I've come to accept that this is my boy. He does not like being the center of attention in a big group, much like his mom. It makes him uncomfortable, so he just shuts down. He told me later in the day, "Mommy, I didn't want to sing to you in class because I was afraid you wouldn't like it and you wouldn't be happy." So, of course, I felt bad for being disappointed in the moment and told him I would always love anything he did for me. He smiled and hugged me, which was better than any song. After the song there was a tearjerker of a read aloud (Love You Forever by Robert Munsch) and then each kid gave their moms the Mother's Day gifts. They are canvas wall hangings of a sunflower, made with the hand prints of each child. They are very sweet. I had a fabulous time spending the morning with Nicholas. He seemed to enjoy the one-on-one attention too. He was clinging to me a lot yesterday...lots of hugs, kisses, and I love yous! Win, win! Here are some pictures from yesterday's tea:


In true N fashion, he did not want to take a picture. I got one anyway!


Me and N's best bud, Mason (or his "bro" as they call each other...oy!)


Me and Sienna


My friend Kacy, with her son Mason and Sienna


N showing me how he builds in the block room


Each kid completed a questionnaire about their moms. N's was hilarious. I especially love the second and third answers. Funny how they see you!


This was a big poster in the snack room. At the top it said, "My mommy is..."



Trying to get a good picture at snack time...fail!

No comments: