Sunday, April 10, 2011

Keep on runnin'

I never really considered myself a runner. I mean, over the past couple of years I had been running at the gym on the treadmill, but not very intensely. I always had an excuse as to why I couldn't REALLY run. Let's see...it's too hard, I don't like it, it hurts, what will I do with the kids while I run....and numero uno...I can't because I'm a diabetic.

Well, less than a year ago I decided to just get outside and do it! Jeff and I bought a double jogger stroller and I just decided that even if it meant I walked over half the time, that I would pile the kids in the stroller and run. When I first started it was really hard. I probably did walk for over half the time and maybe would do 2 miles.

Fast forward almost a year later and I just finished my first 10K! This was a big accomplishment for me because I proved to myself that I'm stronger than I think. I've always been so concerned with my blood sugars because running is a lot of physical exertion, which can drop your blood sugars drastically. But, through trial and error, as well as working with my endocrinologist and my fabulous nutritionist friend, Claudia, I have found that I can be a diabetic and run without fear of passing out mid run!

Today's race was like the culmination of my hard work this past year. Now I run 3-4 times a week (usually with Lexi), averaging 3-4 miles at a time. I still prefer to run solo, for obvious reasons, but I realized that I can't use the kids as an excuse to not exercise. So, I don't...they come with me and hopefully I'm instilling in them, through example, that exercise is an important part of life.

In that spirit I also signed Nicholas up for the 1 mile fun run. He was excited to run in a real race like Mommy. Jeff ran with Nicholas and I pushed Lexi in the stroller and followed them. Nicholas pretty much ran the whole thing without stopping. He was very proud of himself, we were too.

The run was a great experience and I look forward to many more races in my future...hopefully a half marathon some day!



Approaching the finish line...I ran it in 52:48, averaging a 8:53 min mile. That's a lot faster than my usual pace while pushing a stroller. I was pleased with my time!


My good friend and running partner in crime, Kacy. She and I usually run when the big boys are at preschool in the morning, and often get a longer run in on the weekends.


Getting Nicholas set up with his bib


So proud to be wearing a bib


Jeff and Nicholas during the fun run


Nicholas received a blue ribbon for his efforts. He thought that was pretty awesome.

4 comments:

Patrick Daems said...

What a set of athletes! The distancesand in Lindsey's case the time of the runs are more than respectable. It shows you again the "where there's a will there's a way" truth. It's true. Next time I'm in Benicia, I'll push Lexi's stroller, Lindsey.
Patrick

Unknown said...

I loved this post! I started "running" last year, (5k 3x/week) but haven't been out there since early pregnancy. I use the quotation marks because an almost 10-minute mile hardly qualifies as running. Maybe "jogging" would be a better term.

Anyway, that's great that you did the 10k! How do you like your jogging stroller? I was thinking of getting a double jogger too, so am open to recommendations!

Lindsey said...

Hi Shauna! I have the BOB double jogger. I really love it. I like that it has a swivel front wheel, as I personally find the fixed front wheel hard to maneuver (although you can lock the front wheel on the BOB if you like). The stroller itself is a very smooth ride. You can also buy an infant attachment bar to lock your infant car seat into the stroller, as well as a wind/rain shield for the colder weather months. The kids stay pretty toasty inside of the shield (at least N tells me so!) :)

The only complaint is that it is big and is heavy to put into a car. It does fit, however, through doorways (anywhere a wheelchair can fit through, so can the BOB). It wouldn't be great though for the mall or something like that.

Hope that helps! Happy running!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I've heard from a few people that the BOB is the way to go, especially for the double joggers. Thanks for the info, I'll have to check them out in person!