Well, it's official...Nicholas has finally given up the binky (pacifier!). While he's only used it a nap time and bedtime for the past year, he is now a big boy and does not use it at all. The timing just seemed right to say goodbye to the binky. With transitioning to a bed, the birth of a baby sister, and mini-weekend trips, there didn't seem like a good time to do it in the past 6 months, but with a solid 3 weeks at home before our next trip, we felt that this was a good time to transition.
I told Nicholas Monday morning that the Binky Fairy had come last night and left me a note. She said that she was going to take his binkies to little babies far away who didn't have any binkies. These babies were sad and needed Nicholas to help them. The Binky Fairy also told me that since Nicholas was so nice to help out the babies, that I should take him to make an animal that he could sleep with instead of his binky. So, later that morning, I packed up Lexi and Nicholas and we headed out to Build-A-Bear Workshop (along with Nana, Baba, and Auntie Becca).
Once we arrived at the store I let Nicholas choose an animal...he chose a monkey. The ladies there were great...I told them the reason we came and they praised Nicholas for being a big boy and made a big deal about giving up his binky. Nicholas got to help fill the monkey up with stuffing, and even put a "heart" inside of the monkey. Afterwards he "bathed" the monkey and then went to the computer to name him. Nicholas named the monkey George, after his favorite story time monkey (Curious George). I was going to leave George clothes less, but Baba couldn't resist the chance to dress George up in a Giants baseball uniform.
Nicholas absolutely loves George. He carries him all around the house and then cradles him in the crook of his arm as he falls asleep. George seems to have been a good transition object for Nicholas. Nicholas proudly tells us, "I'm a big boy now!" He still asks where his binky has gone, but then remembers that it went to the babies. We've gone three nights now without the binky and haven't had any issues...a true success!
1 comment:
Love the pics....hello from nY....hopefully catch up with you all soon...
Post a Comment