Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lexi is an official big girl!

It's official....we now have a big girl in our home! She'd given up her binky long ago, moved into a big girl bed this summer, and now (sniff, sniff), the final remaining sign of babyhood is gone...Lexi is out of diapers!

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. I say she's out of diapers but she is by no means 100% potty trained. With Nicholas we decided to just go cold turkey in regards to potty training. He woke up one morning, we put on underwear, and we never looked back. Nicholas was potty trained in 3 days (for the most part). So, we decided to go the same route with Lexi. I have to admit, I was a bit more nervous this time around. You see, before we went cold turkey with Nicholas he had been using the potty before bath time for a while, meaning we'd put him on his potty and he'd actually go. However, Lexi, up until yesterday morning, had not once actually gone to the bathroom on the potty. She'd sat there, pretended to wipe, flushed the toilet, and washed her hands, but that's it. So, I didn't know how she'd respond to being in big girl undies. I hoped she would hate the feeling of being dirty so much that she would pick up on it fairly quickly. Hey, I'd always heard girls were easier with these types of things and I was hoping my girl would fit that stereotype...but I was nervous.

So, first thing yesterday morning we took off the diaper and put on the big girl undies. Between 7:30 and 10:30 Lexi wet herself 4-5 times. She never told us she had to go, she would just say, "I poo-pooed!" After each accident we would put her on the potty and reinforce that she was supposed to go on the toilet. The 6th time she mostly wet herself but then got a bit out on the potty. We made a huge deal about it! The 7th time she barely wet herself and got most of it out on the potty. By the 8th time, she was fully going in the potty...she then was accident free for the rest of the day! Before bed time she called to us from the bathroom that she had "poo-pooed". We thought, yeah right. But, when I walked in there, she had gotten her pants down by herself and had done her business unassisted.

She really picked up on potty training easily and is very proud of herself. We are too! I think it helps to have Nicholas, the cheerleader, as well. He's been really supportive of her...it's cute!

Okay, now that I've probably embarrassed Lexi enough, and you've probably learned more about Lexi than you ever wanted to know, here are some cute pictures...


Getting ready to choose her undies


She wanted to lay them all out to pick the most perfect pair


Big girl!

1 comment:

Aver said...

That is awesome! Way to go Lexi!!!