Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

After the emotional tumult of the past few weeks it was nice to have a 3 day weekend together to just relax and decompress. Our big plan for the weekend was to host a Memorial Day BBQ on Sunday. About 7 of our friends and their families came over for some carne asada and beers. It gave us a good excuse to tidy up the backyard and use our new patio furniture. It was a great afternoon with good food and friends.

Unfortunately Lexi developed a fever during the BBQ. She was fine when I put her down for her nap on Sunday but halfway into the BBQ I noticed she felt warm. Needless to say she finally caught the late spring cold that all of the other kids have been having (Nicholas had it the week prior). Nana and Baba offered to watch Lexi on Monday so that Jeff and I could take Nicholas out for some one-on-one "special time". It's so nice to have them around so that we can do special things like that with our children...and it is so nice when they give us the nudge to do it too. That's one of the special things about grandparents. They've been there and done that, so they know when something is needed. My parents were always great about giving my sisters and myself some one-on-one time regularly and I'm happy that they are able to help us do the same for Nicholas and Lexi as well.

I digress with the point of the previous paragraph...the point was, while Nana and Baba watched sick little Lexi, Jeff and I took Nicholas to KidFest in Concord. KidFest was basically a 3 day festival for...kids. Inflatable bounce houses, carnival rides, entertainment, food, booths with games, etc. Nicholas had a lot of fun with all of the activities. I think the best part though was having Mom and Dad's undivided attention, which, as any parent of more than one child will tell you, is not always possible. But when it does happen, it's a special time for all of us.

Hoping you had a relaxing Memorial Day weekend too!

(Photo disclaimer...I am FULLY aware of the poor quality of my photographs! I've come to the conclusion that my tiny point-and-shoot camera is a dud. Unless you are in the perfect conditions with lighting, it's almost impossible to get an uncloudy, ungrainy picture. So, while convenient to tote around, I think the camera will have to take the bench for a spell).







VIDEOS: The Hamster Ball and the Big Slide

No comments: