Thursday, January 21, 2010

Nicholas Turns 3!

Nicholas turned three years old on January 11th. Hard to believe...the past 3 years have gone by in the blink of an eye!

We took him out for a family birthday dinner the Saturday before his birthday. We decided to go to Benihana's. Nicholas, of course, loved the "show" of cooking dinner. We weren't going to bring Lexi, but our babysitting plans fell through, so she came. Surprisingly, she was awesome, and seemed to enjoy the "show" too. For being up an hour later than normal, we were impressed! Nicholas loved the whole experience of Benihana's...it was definitely a fun birthday dinner.

On Nicholas' actual birthday, my parents, my sister, and I took him and Lexi to the CA Academy of Science in San Francisco. I had heard that it the Academy might not be a great spot for kids Nicholas' age, but we thought we'd give it a try anyway. Nicholas LOVED the Academy. It really was an awesome museum. He was especially enthralled with the albino alligator, Claude, and the entire aquarium section. Since he liked it so much, we even became members! After we returned home, we did some cake and presents.

I also made Nicholas some homemade cupcakes and frosting for playgroup with his Jellybelly pals. I had received a bunch of baking cookbooks for Christmas, so I thought I should try my hand at being Betty Crocker. The cupcakes don't look too terribly impressive, but I was proud of my efforts. Homemade cupcake batter, plus 5 different colors of frosting...it was a lot of work! The kids seemed to enjoy the cupcakes, which is all that really matters! :)

Nicholas turned 3 in style! Was it a lot to do? Sure...but birthdays are my thing....the bigger the better! :) Until birthday number 4....




Playgroup cupcakes



Enjoying Miso soup at Benihana's


He even got to use chopsticks...he did really well with using them


Group shot after birthday candle...hey Lexi...look over here!


California Academy of Sciences...coral reef tank


Lexi was happy to see all the fish too


The living roof at the Academy


Auntie Becca, Baba, and Nana with the birthday boy


Enjoying some chocolate birthday cake

No comments: