Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Kindergarten

 Nicholas had his first day of kindergarten this morning.  He is attending the same school as my sisters and I, and as luck would have it, all three of the same kindergarten teachers that were there 25 years ago are still teaching.  Nicholas has Ms. Parker, who was also Becca's kindergarten teacher.  He is also in class with his best friend, Mason, as well as two boys from his tee ball team. 

We attended an orientation yesterday where we were able to see his classroom and meet his teacher.  For the first day of school parents were not allowed to go in the classroom.  We had to say goodbye in the line.  I think this was for the best.  Even though I never taught kids as young as kinder, I know how parents like to linger and it just makes it harder for the students and the teacher.

Nicholas was excited this morning and had a really good attitude about going.  We all walked to school and he lined up to wait for Ms. Parker without any problems.  The bell rang and Ms. Parker said, "Okay boys and girls, wave goodbye to your moms and dads," and that's when Nicholas lost it.  He started running towards Jeff in hysterics, with Ms. Parker in hot pursuit.  Luckily, the principal and several support staff members were also in the yard and, after giving me one quick hug goodbye, he walked into the classroom holding one of the ladies' hands.

When we asked him after school why he became so upset he said it's because he didn't see me.  When they turned to wave goodbye I was standing to the side trying to get a picture.  He looked towards where Jeff was standing and I wasn't there.  I promised him I would stay by Daddy tomorrow so he would know I was still there.  I asked Ms. Parker how he did once he went inside and she said he was fine immediately, which I figured.  That's often times how he was at preschool.  I did not cry because I knew he was in a safe place and would do well.

Nicholas reported that there were a lot of rules to learn that day, but also let us know about some of the fun things they did as well. The former teacher in me is excited to see what lies ahead academically this year, and the mom side of me is proud of my (not so) little boy for overcoming his fear and doing well on his first day of school.

Ready to go!

His sister wanted to go with him.  It was kind of sad to see Lexi lose her playmate.

His new backpack...which several other boys had as well.  Good thing I labeled it.

Ready to go...he pushed Claire the whole way there

Claire was born almost exactly one week ago to the minute of when school started

The original little sister

All lined up...and a head taller than almost everyone in class.  Oh, and we all need to have some sympathy for Ms. Parker...there are 14 boys and 7 girls in her class...that's a whole bunch of energy she has to contend with! :)

Lexi played peek-a-boo while we waited for Nicholas to go inside

Ms. Parker

No comments: