Well, we are in the home stretch with baby #3. Claire is set to make her arrival around 7:30 AM on Wednesday, August 15th. However, there have been some recent developments that make us wonder whether she'll stay in another 8 days.
Over this weekend I had a few high blood pressure readings, along with a headache that lasted well over 24 hours. These are both signs of preeclampsia, which I developed with both Nicholas and Lexi around 37 weeks. For the record, I'm 36 weeks, 3 days today. So, when I went in for my ultrasound and non-stress today at the perinatologist's office, I mentioned the weekend's events to the doc. She did not like the sound of my symptoms and hurried me off to the hospital for monitoring. I spent 4 hours in labor and deliver today having blood draws, urine checks, blood pressure readings, fetal monitoring, etc. Everything came back looking okay but I still had the headache, along with some visual disturbances. I have also started to get some major swelling in my feet, ankles, calves, and a bit in my hands and face as well. Again, these are signs of preeclampsia. The OB came in and told me I am basically allowed to do very minimal activity for the next week...my primary focus has to be on resting. When I'm active, my blood pressure spikes. After giving me two Vicodin for the headache, I was allowed to go home. I have two more doctor's appointments this week, so if there are any other problems between now and delivery, we should catch them.
The good news is that I'm very close to being 37 weeks, which is considered full term. And knowing that Nicholas and Lexi were both born at 37 weeks with no major issues puts me at ease. At this morning's ultrasound they estimated she was about 6lbs. 13 oz. already, which is a good size for a 36 week baby. They also showed me movement on the ultrasound of her diapraghm, which they said is her way of pretending to breathe right now. They said that's a good sign because the baby is practicing using her lungs. So, if she comes soon, I'm okay with that...although I would prefer not to have to get preeclampsia for a third time.
So, anyone have a guess when she'll actually arrive? Will Claire and her daddy share a birthday on the 8th? Or maybe she'll share a birthday with her Auntie Becca on the 14th? Time will tell...
No comments:
Post a Comment