Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Trip to SoCal

Last week we headed down to Southern California to spend a relaxing week with Grandma and Grandpa at their new house. We drove down Monday and were happy to be greeted by warm weather. Joan and Patrick's new house is gorgeous and the kids were so happy to play with all of their Daddy's childhood toys and swim in Grandma and Grandpa's new pool! On Wednesday we headed down to Disneyland for two days (see my post below for more on that). We had planned to spend Friday and Saturday relaxing and spending more time with family, but my body had other plans...

On Friday morning I woke up feeling queasy. Within an hour I was (to spare you the details) praying to the porcelain god. A few hours later, I still could not keep anything down and was starting to feel very dizzy and weak. I assumed it was food poisoning, since I had eaten shrimp the night before...just undercooked seafood, I thought. I called my grandfather, a retired doctor, and he suggested I go to an urgent care center. Being a diabetic and not being able to keep food down is a dangerous combination. My blood sugars could have plummeted drastically, causing an emergency situation.

As fate would have it, neither of the urgent care centers in the area took our insurance, so we ended up at the local ER. I was immediately given an IV filled with fluids and morphine, as well as anti-nausea medication. I thought that would be the end of it, but the doctor ordered a CAT scan, to rule out any other issues. As it turned out, my appendix was about to rupture. I was admitted to the hospital and scheduled for surgery the following morning.

It was a bit overwhelming to go from spending the day at Disneyland to having abdominal surgery 24 hours later. My parents drove down on Saturday to help out with the trip back to Benicia. I spent the rest of Saturday, Sunday, and part of the day Monday recuperating in the hospital. According to Jeff, the kids hardly knew I was gone...they had so much fun playing with their cousins and swimming to notice, which I am happy about.

I am so lucky to have such an amazing family on both sides. They all really went above and beyond to make sure the kids were happy and well cared for, as well as making sure that Jeff and I didn't feel too overwhelmed.

I am now recovering at home. Jeff had to take the rest of the week off to take care of the kids as I am not able to drive, pick them up, etc, and I am fortunate that he has the ability to do so. He's been amazing being a caregiver to all three of us.

Here's to hoping our next trip to Southern California over Christmas is slightly less eventful!

No comments: