Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pregnancy Vent

I usually try to keep the blog upbeat and light, but sometimes a girl just needs to vent...especially a hormonal girl.

So, here are two pregnancy "irks" I'm having:

1). People seeming shocked I'm showing

Yes, I'm showing earlier this time around but it is my third pregnancy. I don't sit around the house all day eating...in fact I almost never have the opportunity to sit with two active kids already. The implication that I'm big, quite frankly, is rude and hurtful. I was in better shape before I was pregnant this time than I was with Nicholas or Lexi, and I am still going to the gym three days a week to run and lift weights. Jeff says not to worry about it, but it bothers me. I feel like there are certain things that polite society should not comment on to a pregnant woman, and this is one of them.

2) The whole c-section vs natural birth debate

Yes, I've had two c-sections and I will have a third. Honestly folks, do you think I wanted to have c-sections? Don't you think I wanted to experience childbirth? Is the implication that my experience was less than that of a woman who has a vaginal birth? I didn't ask to be a diabetic....I've lived this lifestyle for almost 20 years now and I don't talk about it much because it's just my life, but it's times like pregnancy that make me feel inadequate. I don't have a choice in the matter...I've been dealt this card in life but I furiously resent the implication that my c-sections make me less of a mother. I wanted to have the experience of most of my friends but between the diabetes, large babies (due to genetics, not diabetes), and a small pelvis it isn't happening. Most people will ever know how much extra work it is for me to bring a healthy child into this world and it pisses me off when people assume I've taken the easy way. Trust me, when it comes to health, my life has never been easy, pregnant or not. Some food for thought the next time you come at me with anything related to my health, weight, diet, or exercise. Most people are lucky that I am too much of a people pleaser to say what I'm really thinking...

Anyway, moral of the story is watch what you say to a pregnant lady...you might not want to hear her response. Vent over...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No need to apologize for this vent! Why is it that most people don't know how to keep their mouths shut when talking to pregnant women?! People make ridiculous comments and assumptions, and it makes me crazy too! You are amazing Lindz! Come up with a snarky comment for those things. Maybe you should ask them rude questions about THEIR health!

Aver said...

You crack me up! You look great, by the way so don't worry about your adorable bump. As a third timer myself, I say "EAT, EAT, EAT" If the baby wants chocolate cake...give it to her/him. Thats what Adeline wanted and I think she will be a genius because of it.

Lindsey said...

Thanks Shauna and Kendra! The vent was not aimed at anyone in particular, or anyone particularly close to me, but just some random comments. It amazes me that more people don't actually think before they speak...about pregnancy or any other topic for that matter.